Even before the founding of CRES, various labs in the Center were getting recognition through various awards. Here are some awards robotics research at USC has received:
Prof. Wei-Min Shen returned from the 26th Army Science Conference with an award plaque for work creating a better linkage system for his supermodular robot system.
Eric Wade and David Feil-Seifer were awarded the 2008 First Annual Body Computing Slam: "Most Outstanding Body Slammer", at the 2008 USC Body Computing Conference 2.0.
- First place in the Autonomous Unmanned Vehicle Systems Aerial Robotics Competition in 1994.
- Second placein the 1996 AAAI American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Conference Robot Contest.
- First place at the 1997 RobotCup World Championship.
- Two first place awards (Overall and People's Choice) and several others in the 1997 AAAI Conference Robot Contest.
- Second place in the 1998 AAAI Conference Robot Contest.
- Special Award and a 3rd place in the 1999 AAAI Conference Robot Contest.
- ACM best paper award, Agents 1999, D. Goldberg & M. Mataric'.
- Finalist for best paper award, ICRA 2000, S. Schaal, C. Atkeson, & S. Vijaykumar.
- Best paper award, ICRA 2002, A. Ispeert, J. Nakanishi, & S. Schaal
- Award for the paper with most philosophical consequences, SAB 2002, K. Stoy, W-M. Shen, P. Will
- Five of the fourteen papers in the IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, special issue on "Multi-Robot Systems", 18(5), October 2002, are authored by PhD students and faculty in the USC.
- Best paper award (2003), HICSS-36 Emerging Technologies Track M. Nicolescu and M. Mataric'.
- W-M. Shen and P. Will received 2003 Phi Kappa Phi Faculty Recognition Award in honor of their research on Reconfigurable Robots (CONRO).
CRES was founded in the fall of 2002, and inaugurated on September 26, 2002. Here is some of the press the Center has received.
- USC Viterbi Robotics Receives Award to Purchase State-of-the-Art Robot, a Viterbi School of Engineering article, Monday, July 23, 2012.
- Five leaders of the robot revolution, a Washington Post article by Daniel de Vise, Friday, November 04, 2011.
- DARPA-funded LittleDog robot shows off new tricks , a ZDNet article by Chris Jablonski , Monday, May 31, 2010.
- Bandit, Little Dog, and More: University of Southern California Shows Off Its Robots, a IEEE Spectrum article by Daniel Garcia, Friday, April 09, 2010.
- Learning Robotics, a CNN Headline News article, Monday, August 25, 2008.
- TV\'S CYBERGUY VISITS THE VITERBI ROBOTICS RESEARCH LAB, a KTLA-TV article by Kurt, Friday, December 14, 2007.
- JPL and USC Forge Four-Year Partnership, a USC Chronicle article by Allison Engel, Monday, February 13, 2006.
- Found in Translation, a IEEE Intelligent Systems 20(6):6-8 31, Nov./Dec. 2005 article by Danna Voth, Thursday, December 01, 2005.
- Smart Sensors of Network the World, a Scientific American article by David E. Culler and Hans Mulder, Tuesday, June 01, 2004.
- Puckish robots pull together: Air hockey helps joint techniques for work in space., a Nature article by Philip Ball, Friday, May 28, 2004.
- USC\'s Profs Breach Boundaries to Spur Interdisciplinary Research, a USC Chronicle article by Gia Scafidi, Monday, September 22, 2003.
- Heads Together, a USC News article by Gia Scafidi, Wednesday, August 06, 2003.
- What Lies Beneath, a College of Letters, Arts and Science Magazine article by Eva Emerson, Summer 2003.
- Robot science puts on a friendly face (scanned), a USA Today article by Edward C. Baig, Thursday, May 01, 2003.
- Robot science puts on a friendly face (online), a USA Today article by Edward C. Baig, Wednesday, April 30, 2003.
- Robots are ready to rumble, a USC Chronicle article by Gia Scafidi, Monday, March 31, 2003.
- Making Robots More Like Us, a New York Times article by Yudhijit Bhattacharjee, Thursday, March 06, 2003.
- Robots to the Rescue, a USC News article by Gia Scafidi, Thursday, February 20, 2003.
- Robots, Robots, Everywhere, a USC Chronicle article, Monday, November 11, 2002.
- At the Intersection of Robbie and HAL, a USC Today article, Wednesday, October 23, 2002.
- Are you Ready to Roomba?, a USC Chronicle article, Monday, September 23, 2002.
- Space Repairman, a Technology Review article by Gregory T. Huang.
- Robotica, a Trojan Family Magazine article by Mark Ewing, Eric Mankin and Bob Calverley.